Cuiaba Brazil Weather

Monday, July 15, 2013

Brazil Week #30

Bom Dia minha querida família! I hope you are all doing well this week, from your emails it sound like all is good back at home. This week was alot better, We still had many disappointments but I was able to keep my mind on the work and not back at home. This week I felt like the pioneers ha we walked ALOT! But what do you expect I guess our area is really big and we have no car. Not a whole ton happened this week. Last p-day I was laying on my bed resting and my throat randomly started hurting and my head started hurting. It was really uncomfortable so I just laid in bed the rest of the night and when I woke up in the morning it was worse. My headache had gotten better but my throat was hurting really bad so I went and looked and yt throat was really red and my tonsils were swollen but there wasn't any of those white blister things, i don't remember the name. So I have been dealing with that the entire week. As of now my throat isn't really hurting anymore but I still have alot of mucus in my sinuses and in my lungs. I have been coughing alot too. Its that type of cough where when you breathe something in your chest tickles and so you have to cough. Its a pain but I have been taking my one a day vitamins and I still have some emergen-c that mom sent me while I was in the mtc. I have also been gargling with salt water. But luckily we didn't lose any work time over the week because of it, I did get out of bed late all this week I'm pretty drained in the mornings and this cold that I have or whatever has made it super hard in the mornings. I'm committed this week though to get out of bed on time  even if I'm still feeling a little sick. This week we have been teaching that couple that I have been talking about alot. We taught the plan of Salvation this week to them which is one of my favorite lessons. Their mom sat in this time and by the end of the lesson she was shedding a few tears because the spirit touched her heart so much. After the lesson she said that she was going to start frequenting our church now. We invited her to baptism and she accepted with com certeza! (for sure!) She said that she wants to quite smoking first and that she had smoked for over 30 years. She smokes about 40 cigarettes a day and we committed her to cut down. So we came back the next day and she had smoked only 5 cigarrettes that day. She has alot of faith. And we are working with her alot. This couple finally made it to church. They had a ride set up with one of their friends but it fell through. Our phone wasn't connecting with theirs for some reason so we left the house early and basically ran to their house at the end of our area. Its usually about a 35-40 minute walk but this time we got there in just over 20 mins. Its a good thing too we talked to them and we said we would get someone to take them, so we called our branch president and he came and picked them up and took them to church. Then we ran to  a less active and asked if he was going to church, he said that he was expecting visitors soon at his house but he offered us a ride back up to the church. It was a lifesaver that he did cause we only missed the first 2 minutes of church. President Reber and his wife and son were at our ward on Sunday. They came the day before to give a training to the ward leadership. Preident Rebers son just got back from his mission like 2 weeks ago from Chile. He hasn't been released yet and so he is basically in a trio with his parents. Its really cool, it was cool talking with him in Portuguese and then he would respond in Spanish and we could understand and have a conversation. He is going back to the states pretty soon I think within the next 2 weeks. President Reber and his family didn't get to stay long because the training that they are giving they are giving to the entire mission and so they are super rushed. All I know is that I want to be like President Reber one day, he is a man of great humility and love. Him and his wife and son all spoke during sacrament meeting. It was powerful his son spoke in Spanish and everybody was able to understand fine. Our investigator couple loved it. We had a zone meeting on Wednesday here in Sorriso. We only have 12 people in our zone but they are all great. After the meeting we all went to a place called the Acai cabin. Its supposed to be the best place in the entire mission to get acai berry drinks and smoothies. What we got was a sort of creamed acai with granola and strawberries. I took a picture of it that I will include. It was great and felt really good on my throat that had been hurting. So Friday I got my hair cut and and made some contacts with some really neat people and taught some really great lessons. We got back to the house that night and we noticed the window to our room was open. Our house has two windows in the front one in the room where we sleep and the other in our study room area. both have iron bars over them so nobody can get in but the bars a spread apart quite a ways so its pretty easy to get you hand in. We always shut the windows before we leave and so we knew that someone had been dinking around with the window. I looked in and saw that my electric shaver was still on my bed so I thought o good nobody took anything. But later that night I was looking for a little speaker that I had bought last p-day. here ipods and things like that are super expensive so alot of people use little speakers that have ports for usb drives and sd cards. They are relatively cheap about 40 or 50 reais and are really handy. I bought one last week and used it to listen to all my Portuguese talks. I bought a pen drive the week before and put a ton of talks and scriptures on it. That night I was looking for it and couldn't find it I thought hard and I was pretty sure that I had left in on my bed before we left for they day. I went and hunted around some more and discovered that I was missing my pendrive, soundbox, ipod, and a portable dvd player that each house has. Somebody hit the jackpot, I still cant figure out why I had my ipod, speakers usb drive and a mini dvd player all sitting on my bed at the same time. But someone had come during the daytime and taken all of them through my window. Luckily I still have my camera and shaver though which are really what is valuable to me. I still cant figure out why they didn't take my shaver though, a shaver like the on I have would be super expensive here. I was pretty mad at first, but mostly at myself. Whoever took my stuff must have know who we were though and that we had nice stuff. A few weeks ago we got back from our zone conference in cuiabá and the same thing happened my window was wide open. So we know that someone had been there before and we talked to a member last night who said that several week ago she saw some tall guy with a backpack come into our yard and open our window and look around. I don't know why she didn't tell us sooner though. Our windows have locks but they are a pain to deal with but as of now we will take the pain of always locking our windows. But I would rather have that happen then be robbed at gunpoint or something. I wonder if the Lord has a purpose in letting things like this happen. I know that I learned to not leave valuable stuff by the window. But its alright All these things can be replaced, I'm just glad I still have my camera with all the pictures, I would have cried if they took my pictures. But no worries I forgive whoever did it. We had a baptism scheduled for yesterday but it fell through it was a young women 14 years old that we contacted in the street. She wants to be baptized but she is afraid to make commitments I think, She doesn't understand why we cant drink coffee and things like that. We already filled out her baptismal form and gotten her mom signature and all that but the day before she said that she didn't know if she was ready yet. We were bummed but these things happen she said she would go to church but she didn't show up this week. It is what it is, though. Yesterday we had our the branch mission leader take us around to less active that he wanted to work with. Most of them weren't home so we just taught the people that were home that weren't members. We walked a bunch yesterday. I almost felt like we were breaking the Sabbath cause we walked so much haha. But I'm happy for p-day. Next week is transfers. We think that either I or Elder Cordeiro will be transferred along with Elder Chaves who already has 4 and half months here. He only has 3 months left on the mission and he is super excited to go home. We will see what happens just please keep transfers in your prayers so that everything goes smoothly and so  that President Reber can be inspired to know what to do. I think that's about it though thanks for your emails I love you guys all so much. Also We heard that there is a rumor going around that missionaries can use facebook now but President Reber said that its just a rumor. I don't know if anyone has heard about it in the states or just here in Brazil. Anyways love you guys so much thanks for all the prayers and thoughts! 
Com Amor 
-Elder Kennington

No comments:

Post a Comment